When The Cat Is Away...

In the previous post, I hinted at something that is SO true... When the manager is not at the store, everyone works a lot less. We don't quite pounce on customers so readily, we let the paperwork fall behind... All these little chores like flattening and recycling boxes, taking out the trash, dusting, windexing the glass displays and the door, straightening and reorganizing the shelves, vacuuming... it all gets left till "later". Every employee rejoices in seeing the vacant hole on her schedule, too. I even bring a book!

We're supposed to read through tons of thick manuals over the first three months of working at the store, as part of our training. Of course, a couple WEEKS into the job, you're familiar enough with everything to not need to do the reading, but you kinda have to do it anyways, as there is a long checklist (PAGES long) where you have to check for each CHAPTER you read. So, as you can imagine, my manager does not like it when I bring a novel to work and read it during dull periods of time. She'll remind me that if I want to read, there is plenty of other stuff I ought to be reading. And she'll be right, too. But if she's not there...

I should say, though, that my manager is one of the nicest and most reasonable people I have ever met. She's awesome, and one could not really ask for a better boss. But still, she IS the boss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home